Forum Feature Additions

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#1 Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:52 pm

I continue to try to add functionality to the board. I will list features/plugins/etc that I've added here as we go along:

Added:
  • ReIMG - Allows for uploading an image of any size and it will resize it to fit to the forum nicely with the ability to zoom in
  • Post Number - Shows the number of the forum post next to the title
  • Tapatalk - Enables the board to be viewed in Tapatalk
  • Web Push Notifications - Allows you to be notified via your browser for new posts on subscribed threads
  • 1/28/2019 - Simple Mentions - You can use @[username] to mention a poster in a thread and it will send them a notificaiton

Investigating:
  • Like and/or Reputation System - Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is anything that is fully approved and available, but there are some in development. So, I may do one of the ones in development.

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#2 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm

I just added simple mentions.

It allows you to type in the '@' symbol and then start typing a username. You select the user and it will automatically send them a notification to the thread you tag them in.

i.e.:

@mrjoolius

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#3 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:59 pm

You rang? Very cool feature.

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#4 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm

I should also mention.. if there are any requests for features, this is a good place to post them.

I don't have the ability to code stuff myself, but a lot of other smart people have developed things that I can add in ;).

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#5 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:11 pm

A couple features came to mind. These might already be handled, but I thought I'd put them out there.
  • is it possible to run polls?
  • is there a tag to imbed video links (ie YouTube) directly in the thread?
  • Is there an add on to resize imbedded images to fit the viewers device?
None of these are crucial, just luxury add ons.

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#6 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 pm

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#7 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:42 pm

That didn't seem to imbed anything. I think the csnbbs board had the [youtube] tag to do it.

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#8 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:50 pm

mrjoolius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:42 pm
That didn't seem to imbed anything. I think the csnbbs board had the [youtube] tag to do it.
Yup, was still playing around with it to get it to work.

You can now youtube tag it either manually or with the toolbar click for youtube and just copy and paste the URL from the YouTube page!

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#9 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

mrjoolius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:11 pm
A couple features came to mind. These might already be handled, but I thought I'd put them out there.
Ok, so...

Polls - Check
youtube - Check (other sources I'm not sure I have down, but YouTube is likely the biggest need)

Images by device - The Customization I already installed should do this? Are you not seeing them resize depending on your device? For instance, your Cameron Brown image looks perfect on my iPhone, vertical or horizontal and on my laptop screen.

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#10 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 pm

I'm still having issues with it embedding. Is it because of the abbreviated address that youtube spits out when you share a video?

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#11 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Looks like that video link pops up correctly on Tapatalk, just not on the web page.

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#12 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm

wml33t wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm
mrjoolius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:11 pm
Ok, so...

Polls - Check
youtube - Check (other sources I'm not sure I have down, but YouTube is likely the biggest need)

Images by device - The Customization I already installed should do this? Are you not seeing them resize depending on your device? For instance, your Cameron Brown image looks perfect on my iPhone, vertical or horizontal and on my laptop screen.
To be honest, the pic resizing was just something I thought was a nice feature. I never tested whether the board did this or not.

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#13 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm

mrjoolius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:04 pm
Looks like that video link pops up correctly on Tapatalk, just not on the web page.
Hrmm.. it's working on the web for me. Maybe a ctrl-refresh?

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#14 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:08 pm

mrjoolius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:04 pm
Yeah.. if I update it to the "traditional" link (which I did, just went and edited your post like some kind of Big Brother crazy person) it works just fine.

That's... annoying.

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#15 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Clearing the cache seemed to do the trick.

Now, is there anyway to have the embedded video resize to fit the device. Over mobile, the YouTube video is massive

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#16 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm

mrjoolius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Now, is there anyway to have the embedded video resize to fit the device. Over mobile, the YouTube video is massive
It works now because I changed your link ;).

Will look into the sizing, that might be trickier.

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#17 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:32 pm

wml33t wrote:
mrjoolius wrote:

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/P0eDW2AjRRg

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#18 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:36 pm

mrjoolius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:32 pm
wml33t wrote:
mrjoolius wrote:

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/P0eDW2AjRRg
Heh, so I tried that plug-in and it wasn't working.

Something I planned to dig into further when at home and I have more resources/time available.

So yeah, for now we have something that "works", but I am going to work to make it work better.

Zorch
Walk-On

#19 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by Zorch » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Okay, if by chance this board becomes the main one, then I would like to see a couple of improvements (one I consider mandatory, the other I don't expect to happen).

Mandatory: How do you make it go to the last post in a thread (like the other board does)? Am I missing something? I don't see a way to do that. Always going to the first post in a thread (especially a long long thread) can be very irritating. I know it must be doable but I am not seeing it.

Know it is not going to happen: On the old board I opined that I thought that the gold background would be too bright (too glare-y). Now, after having used it for several days, I see that I was definitely right. Can you mute the background color?

PS -- When I type a lowercase "l", why does it look like an uppercase "L"? Just not used to it.

Edit -- So, just now, I saw that the recruiting threads did put me down at the bottom but other threads (like this one) put me at the top. Don't understand ....

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#20 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:14 pm

This was directed at wml33t, but I can help with last read. If it is a new post, meaning the circle at the head of the post is yellow, simply click the yellow circle and it takes you to the last unread. If it's older and you want the last post, look under the post subject and it will list the last post date. Click that and it should take you there.

wml33t
Bench Warmer

#21 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by wml33t » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:23 pm

Zorch wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:09 pm
Okay, if by chance this board becomes the main one, then I would like to see a couple of improvements (one I consider mandatory, the other I don't expect to happen).

Mandatory: How do you make it go to the last post in a thread (like the other board does)? Am I missing something? I don't see a way to do that. Always going to the first post in a thread (especially a long long thread) can be very irritating. I know it must be doable but I am not seeing it.

Know it is not going to happen: On the old board I opined that I thought that the gold background would be too bright (too glare-y). Now, after having used it for several days, I see that I was definitely right. Can you mute the background color?

PS -- When I type a lowercase "l", why does it look like an uppercase "L"? Just not used to it.

Edit -- So, just now, I saw that the recruiting threads did put me down at the bottom but other threads (like this one) put me at the top. Don't understand ....
Aesthetics are always a "fun" thing.

My intention has always been to go in and offer other, user selectable, themes using some of the other colors - I just haven't told mrjoolius yet that I want his help with that ;).

So - my intent is for this to be the default color scheme, but I intend to offer others as a choice for those that don't like this. Off the top of my head, at minimum I'd like to do this same look and feel but with the Vegas Gold which I think is a bit less "bright" for folks that the spirit gold is too much.

Short Version - you will have (not sure exactly when) the ability to choose between a few different color schemes.

For the last read, mrjoolius did a good job answering. I wish it was a bit more obvious, but clicking the yellow bubble next to the thread does the trick.

The "l".. well.. that's because of the font this theme uses. I personally find it appealing and didn't necessarily intend to change the font, but I'm open to anything if there's a meaningful chunk of posters that want it.

mrjoolius
Bench Warmer

#22 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by mrjoolius » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:31 pm

wml33t wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:23 pm
My intentional has always been to go in and offer other, user selectable, themes using some of the other colors - I just haven't told mrjoolius yet that I want his help with that ;).

So - my intent is for this to be the default color scheme, but I intend to offer others as a choice for those that don't like this. Off the top of my head, at minimum I'd like to do this same look and feel but with the Vegas Gold which I think is a bit less "bright" for folks that the spirit gold is too much.
As long as I don't need to redo the icon bubbles, which I think would work with any of the color schemes, the rest is pretty simple. I can do the logo with a transparent background or do it in each of the colors if it looks better. Shouldn't be a problem.

Only problem I see is getting folks to default to posting here and not the other board.

Zorch
Walk-On

#23 Re: Forum Feature Additions

Post by Zorch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 am

Thanks wml33t and Mr. J. I will try out those instructions. Thanks.